9mm conversion for M16A1 Carbine

kyle

UZI Talk Life Member
After a few months of looking, I finally ink'd the deal on a Colt M16A1 carbine this week. One of the obvious attractions of the M16 platform is the ability to change calibers. I've been looking at what it takes to set up the rifle in 9mm. How many of you M16 honchos run 9mm though your rifles? How do you like it? A good part of me feels that I should just leave the M16 alone and leave the 9mm and .45ACP action for the Uzi. I can always use the $$$ to buy ammo. Your thoughts? Thanks!

M60joe

FFL 07/02, UZI Talk Life Member,
I like my M16 in 9mm. ROF is faster than UZI full size and slower than MINI UZI. I selected the ASA mag well adapter and modified UZI mags. AR15.com seems down now but the "Rifle Pistol" calibers section will answer everything you need. You have a lot of options and set ups.....

M16A1 with 6" Upper (Made at work...)

M16A19mm.JPG

Same gun with UZI Coastal Can

M16A19mmcoastal.JPG

M16 shorter than UZI!!!

m16anduzi.JPG

Fr8 Dawg

Registered Grinch
your gun looks complete with the coastal can...I never did like the flat tops without the regular front sights on them, they look a little de-flowered that way. But your gun really looks good with the coastal can on it.

How do you like the coastal? I have one awaiting a form 4 and am looking forward to making it smoke.

Speaking of M-16's...I had to make a choice a year and a half ago, between a primo HK-51 volmer conversion registered sear sear gun (with the Idea of running the trigger pack on my SW-3 and maybe a V-51 and some 9 MM HK clone) or a really nice A1 M-16 that came out of a polce department ( 7,500 bucks and no police markings ). As time dragged on, I decided to get two uzi's, a full size and a mini.

While I don't regret purchasing the uzi's ( which which are also awaiting form 4's), I do regret not being finacially solvent enough at the time to pick up the 8,200 dollar HK-51 and the A1 M-16, as both of those guns have appreciated about 7,000 dollars total.

M60joe

You will like the coastal can. The size and weight hold the Full Size and Mini down real nice. Get some spanner wrenches so you can take it apart. I'm making an Coastal UZI Can adapter for my M11 now.

Brian Ski

UZI Talk Life Member
Joe, That 9 setup looks sweet. I just picked up a M16 with a 9 upper. Still in transfer. I had to open up the case to see what was different than yours. Mine is a little bit longer but it has the front sight still on it. I can't wait to get it out to the range. Don't think I will be lucky enough to see it under the tree. :(

Paul556

UZI Talk Supporter
I have a 9mm upper. I got an ASA upper I found on ebay. I ramped the bolt and put in a 9mm buffer. Mags are a problem. Getting them cut just right is very important. Even still mine jams on the next to last round. I think it is just the thing to round out your M16 toys. Lots of fun and cheap ammo. If I had to do it over again I think I would buy a .40 SW upper from Oly Arms. They make one that uses Glock mags. That would be cool. Give me a use for those 28 round Sheerer mags. I may still do that after I get some of the other toys on my wish list.

amphibian

UZI Talk Life Member
It is hard to beat the Colt for fast mag changes for SMG matches. Factory Colt mags have the bolt hold open feature and make mag changes quick. Yes, I try to change mags before I'm empty but sometimes I forget. Mine is about a 5" barrel that is 3 lugged. Here is mine unsuppressed:

colt_curved.jpg

And below using my Gemtech MK9K:

colt_mk9k_curved.jpg

M60joe

joeblack said:
You will like the coastal can. The size and weight hold the Full Size and Mini down real nice. Get some spanner wrenches so you can take it apart. I'm making an Coastal UZI Can adapter for my M11 now.

M11 Coastal UZI Adapter

m11coastaladapter.JPG

m11coastal.JPG

Fr8 Dawg

Registered Grinch
I was looking at your Uzi adapter for the MAC and noticed the short barrel. Does your Coastal can fit the full sized Uzi barrel and do you have any problems with running that short barrel in the Coastal.

The reason I ask, I have a coastal can for the full sized UZI and am thinking of running it on a Mini Uzi.

M60joe

Omega Man said:
I was looking at your Uzi adapter for the MAC and noticed the short barrel. Does your Coastal can fit the full sized Uzi barrel and do you have any problems with running that short barrel in the Coastal.

The reason I ask, I have a coastal can for the full sized UZI and am thinking of running it on a Mini Uzi.

Coastal can works on the Mini and the Full size no problems. You can use the Mini barrel the gun comes with.... I purchased another Mini barrel and threaded it 1/2-28. So, on the Mini I can use the Coastal or a AAC Phantom Can.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter