3D Printing Chassis?

Gaujo

UZI Talk Supporter
Maybe dry run whatever you decide on with a semi-auto MAC? Put it through its paces for a while before slicing up a transferable?

We are doing that with 3d printed lowers now. I'm testing this one soon. AR-15 FCG semi
qMU6ejt.jpg

Deerhurst

We are doing that with 3d printed lowers now. I'm testing this one soon. AR-15 FCG semi
qMU6ejt.jpg

How's that mag working? I have one printed. It's kinda tight in my Max10/31 and I havnt taken the Mac out in a while so no testing yet.

Tinman45

I’ve been following a lot of the progress on AWCY and similar communities. I’m even more excited for the long term societal impact of this revolution than for the fun of making and playing with stuff. This is, like, printing-press levels of promethean tech giving power to the people.

Gaujo

UZI Talk Supporter
eh, I am not sure I see it quite like that. You still have to have a bunch of non printed stuff to make a gun. Don't see that changing. Now a single shot shotgun with a plumbing pipe, sure, but I don't know.

ecestu

qMU6ejt.jpg
How did that setup work out? As a purely hypothetical question, do you think it is possible to drill the smg receiver to add the AR fcg?

LawBob

If the magwell attachment was a u shaped frame of some sorts that different grips slid into… I’m thinking how they strengthen convertibles in the frame bc it doesn’t have the metal top…

Also that’s a good way to visualize the issue:

Think about flexing a convertible car (frame only) with your two hands like a plastic ice tray (counter twist to release the ice) would be a hell of a lot harder with the hard top (the grip) on.

Hey...

UZI Talk Life Member
My man. So what are your thoughts on my insomnia-led imagination for a 3D printed body for a Glock mag M-11? :twoguns
Notice in the middle of the pile an M11 melded with a Glock? Glock mags are cheap and run great. I can’t claim credit, a friend owns most in that pic including the one mentioned.

I’ll say the Glock ergonomics are 95% perfect compared to factory.
fc4b1962_af9d_45ac_9fe4_8509a478e2b8_8d52cfb5d0a31d1bfff5ffcd54bc3f48cc2d50f8.jpeg

Last edited:

Gaujo

UZI Talk Supporter
How did that setup work out? As a purely hypothetical question, do you think it is possible to drill the smg receiver to add the AR fcg?
It is put together with allthread to hold the disparate parts together, and it never felt all together solid. One piece designs are superior and I will test one soon. I would never drill a papered transferable machine gun.

Concorde

Moderator, UZI Talk Life Member,
I personally would not use 3D printed parts for a finished gun as the material breaks and melts too quickly.

That's if you use standard PLA as your print material. There are high-temp choices (usually requires a change of print head) that are stronger, such as carbon-fiber infused filament.

Deerhurst

Meh, PolyMax PLA has a drying temp of 80c. Same as nylon. I use that PLA in quite a few places they say you cant use PLA. So much easier to work with.

Filaments are not "infused" with anything. Carbon PLA or other filaments are just a carbon slurry with the binder being whatever thermoplastic is chosen. The carbon is a very fine chop which is also weaker than long strand. Can't extrude a long strand that well with a FDM printer so that is generally a wet layup thing.

saxon

UZI Talk Supporter
PLA+ and ran a few hundred rounds through a few drums,
held together fine

Deerhurst

I don't see a 3rd hole. I do see a | indicating single shot but it's too low to be the magical 3rd hole.

saxon

UZI Talk Supporter
3rd hole would need a heavily mod bolt to trip it anyway, and no room really..

ecestu

3rd hole would need a heavily mod bolt to trip it anyway, and no room really..

I was just spitballing here, and thought that adding the hole/sear to my smg lower wouldn't be a heavy lift. But I see your point.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter