Chinese Style 7.62x39 Drum w/ AR Feed Tower

A&S Conversions

UZI Talk Life Member
Does anyone know of a manufacturer welding an AR feed tower to a Chinese style 7.62x39 drum? I am fortunate enough to own a 75 round drum pre '94 round drum that runs well. Especially with the current production AR mags in this caliber, it would be nice to add a couple more to my magazine inventory. Anyone know of anyone doing such a modification?

Scott

amphibian

UZI Talk Life Member
Scott,

Out of curiosity, I thought you had an MGI lower as well? If that is the case, why do you want to bother with that when you can just use an unmodified AK drum? That is all I use for at least the past decade. I sold all my Franken mags and drums a long time ago. Just for collector purposes?

Uncle Billy

it wouldn't be too difficult to modify. cut the AK feed tower completely off, then cut a steel AR mag to the same length as the AK feed tower, install a spacer in it, then line it up over the drum opening precisely. I cut a block of wood the same width and length as the opening of the drum and mag opening, to precisely line it up. then fixed it to the drum, by welding or in the case of my MP drum, I attached a couple of steel braces to secure the feed tower it to the drum, using J-B WELD and screws. since a buddy of mine who is a welder passed away, and I couldn't find a welder to do that simple job of welding two little 3/4-inch beads

FEED-TOWER-ATTACHED-TO-DRUM.jpg

that is how I made my 70 round PPS43 and MP5 drums, using cut PPS-43 mag and cut MP5 mag onto a SUOMI drum

what I mean by spacer, is to take steel flat stock and cut it to fill the area where the other row of rounds would normally be in a double stack mag

like this one on my MP5 drum.......and yes, it functions perfectly no jams, misfeeds etc...and the feed tower is rock solid like it was welded conventionally :)

MP5-DRUM-FEED-TOWER.jpg

Last edited:

A&S Conversions

UZI Talk Life Member
Thank you guys for the responses. No this would not be for my DIAS. This would be for my Tenko 10-16 adapter project for the M10. The adapter uses standard AR-15/M16 uppers and magazines on a M10 lower. I am ready to do some testing of our latest design. I have over 12,000 rounds of mostly brass cased corrosive primer 7.62X39 ammunition. I think that I have only three to five thousand rounds of 5.56X45. I have both a closed bolt and open bolt designs that I wish to submit, pwhich must be tested. I also have eight or nine thousand rounds of brass cased 7.62X25 with corrosive primers, but only one Ron Williams direct impingement upper. Both designs use a standard AR magwell. I think that I might be able to modify the design to incorporate the MGI magwell system but that would require a great deal of engineering and resources that I can't afford right now. I need to get something approved and to market to get some cash flow. So I need to run what I've got until then.

I have some drums that I could convert, as I have an example to go by. My time is very limited so what time I do have, I think would be better spent doing the testing that needs to be done, rather than working on adding feed towers to drums. If anyone knows who might be able to do the work, I would appreciate the reference.

Scott

Gaujo

UZI Talk Supporter
Have you seen or used these drums? I could use a few. Thank you for the link.

Scott

I know nothing about them personally, but they appear to be RWB brand Chinese backloader style Korean drums. Reviews look mixed, but still you can return it to them if it's junk and if it works, that's pretty good for $90

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter